Welcome to Strait & Lamp
Wilbur C. Strait Sr. and Arnold W. Lamp started Strait & Lamp Lumber Co. in 1950, at the present location at 269 National Rd. SE, Hebron, Ohio. Their primary market focus was to provide lumber and related materials to builders in Columbus and the surrounding counties. Following the death of Mr. Strait in 1959, Mr. Lamp became the sole owner. In 1976 A. Lamp retired and sold the company to Wilbur Strait Jr.
From 1976 through today, Strait & Lamp made a number of changes to aggressively strengthen its position in the marketplace. In 1977 Strait & Lamp became a member of the national buying group, Hardware Wholesales Inc.; known today as Do It Best. This move proved to be instrumental in the growth of Strait & Lamp through their numerous and varied hardware and building materials programs, as well as their lumber and millwork departments.
In 1986 Strait & Lamp purchased the Fifth Avenue Lumber Co., and Linworth Lumber Co. With the purchase of Fifth Ave. came Lumbercraft, a division furnishing trusses, prefabricated stair systems and prefabricated wall panels. With the acquisition of Dublin Millwork, Inc. in 1990, all of the pieces were in place to meet the needs of the central Ohio builder.
In 1995 we started Strait & Lamp Contracting to provide framed lumber packages as the supply for skilled labor became a problem for some of our customers. Today the installed sales program has expanded to include not only framing, but roofing, exterior and interior trims, insulation, and window and exterior door installation services.
The growth of The Strait & Lamp Group hasn’t been without some setbacks. In 1992 fire destroyed Lumbercraft’s truss plant just off of Fifth Avenue. However, the facility was rebuilt in Canal Winchester on a much larger site, allowing for a more efficient production operation with the opportunity for growth. The original site of Lumbercraft was converted to a yard specializing in engineered wood products.
In 1997 we completed the expansion of our Lumbercraft facility to more than double our production of roof and floor trusses. We continue to update the facility with state-of-the-art technology and equipment to provide for the quality standards and efficiency our customers have come to expect from us.